Monday, December 26, 2011

Soar Into 2012

I often listen to music to find inspiration and motivation. While I was scanning through my playlist on Rhapsody, I came across what I think is a great song by Scott Stapp, former lead singer of the group Creed. And if you listen to the lyrics, I think it is a great message as we get ready to start a new year.


If I had just one thing to say...
Before my last breath fades away...
Keep your head way up in the clouds...
And never let them get you down...

As an entrepreneur and business owner, there will be those who try to tell you that something can't be done. They will accuse you of having your head in the clouds or call you "a dreamer" (as if that is a bad thing).

You have to be able to deal with people like that but you don't have to listen to them. They think that they are helping you by keeping you "grounded in reality." The problem is they are grounding you in their reality. Just because they never had the guts to try something or the fortitude to stick with it when the going got tough, they don't want you to stick your neck out and achieve something great because it will make them look bad.

If I had just two words to say...
To explain my life away...
I could say ups and downs...
Because I always kept me defense down...

Sometimes it will feel like you are on a roller coaster. You're doing great one week, and scraping the bottom the next week. You land a big client this month, next month you struggle to meet payroll. Welcome to the world of business ownership. Ask any business owner and if they are being honest they will tell you that they went through the same things when they were getting started and sometimes they still experience the ups and downs with an "established" business. It simply comes with the territory.

One way to survive the down times and not get overly attached to the good times is to maintain an emotional balance in all situations. Your team will appreciate your consistency in your attitude. But if you are bouncing off the walls with excitement one day and looking for a cat to kick because your frustrated with the results the next day, you are an emotional basketcase and your team (and your clients) can't look to you for leadership. You are too unstable.

Keep hoping and dreaming...
And you will soar...
With a little faith and luck...
You will soar...

What are you doing to spread your wings and soar in 2012?

I'll be pulling for you. In the end, we're all in this together.



If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends and followers and let us know your thoughts in the comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always your comments, questions, and even your rebuttals are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

ShareThis