Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Maybe I'm Missing Something

This title was the lead in to a thread I started on a business network forum on LinkedIn. It became a really hot topic for several months.

The actual title was somewhat longer...
Maybe I am missing something. Maybe I'm overly tired. Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man. Maybe I'll get banned for asking it... but I have a question... Is there anyone posting to this groups discussion board that ISN'T trying to sell their e-book, or get rich quick program or trying to get me to visit their website so that I can become the next victim on online fraud and identity theft?

It had been bothering me for some time that I was constantly having to wade through a seemingly unending stream of offers and solicitations to get to the real threads where people were asking for help or offering something of real value.

I got some really interesting feedback from a small sampling of the 7000+ members of the group.

M.S. said:
I believe many people have been misinformed about how to use Linked in and Facebook to build business relationships. Many new people just use them as a means to get their commercial out to the masses. I have learned that these are tools that help business owners let other business people know who they are and how they can provide value to the community as a whole. Building trust with people is done over time, you must not rush it or force it.

F.M. said:
I get that same feeling with most discussions in this group. However, I have also found some really good information that is very helpful as I build my businesses. While these people are often annoying, the do fade in and out.

J.W said: (this was one of my favorites)
If the bulk of the postings were in response to the question "how do I", I supect the SPAM complaints would not have soared and this thread would be meaningless.

L.A. said:
This is my first post to this group. Before I decided to post, I read through (or at least looked at) the posts in the DISCUSSION section of this group. For me, discussion implies conversation between individuals about a specific topic or idea that each individual/group either already is using, without the intention that there will be money exchanged as a result of the conversation. Then I looked at the PROMOTION section of this group. Promotion to me implies that you have something you are trying to sell or get me to buy. I'm sad to say that I had a hard time telling them apart. In other groups the members had to be reminded of the purposes and reasons behind the different sections. I guess it comes down to your perception of what comprises tools for business owners.

I joined this group with the hopes that more seasoned members would be willing to share ideas on how they grew or are growing their business that would help me. I didn't join this group to have to wade through pitch after pitch after pitch to buy or invest. Like others, for the majority of the posts I hit the delete button. A shame.

And then of course the icing on the cake was from someone who on 4 occasions posted a "comment" that was not related to the discussion at all and was barely coherent in the first place (not to mention all in CAPS):
CONT NO : 91-9999962100,9999967100, GURGAON DELHI NCR . DEAR AM RK VERMA FROM - SHREE JEE THEREATORS -GURGAON. I INVITE IN ALL TYPE OF PROPERTY WORK INVESTMENT RESIDATIONAL ,PLOT FLATS BUIDER FLOORS KOTHI VILLAS COMMERCIAL FIVE STAR HOTEL NDUSTRIALS INSTITUTIONALS FARM HOUSE GURGAON DELHI NOIDA MANESAR DHARUHERA BHIWADI BAWAL & BIG LAND BANKING ALL INDIA LEVEL. NOTE : I REQUIRED BIG FINANCERS BIG NVESTORS INVESTMENT ALL TYPE OF PROPERTY WORK & REQUIRED BUISNESS PARTNER CUM BIG INVESTOR BIG FINANCERS INVESTMENT VERY VERY PROFITABAL REAL ESTATE PROJECTS GURGAON DELHI NCR INDIA. SO INTRESTED PERSON PLEASE WEL COME INVESTES ALL TYE OF PROPERTY WORKS.

So bringing it back to my original question: Am I missing something or is this just typical of the digital environment we find ourselves these days? Have you had to deal with this on your forums or blogs? How did you deal with it?



If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends and followers and let us know your thoughts in the comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment

As always your comments, questions, and even your rebuttals are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

ShareThis